Get Free Estimate
"*" indicates required fields
People are moving all the time in search of better jobs, because of studies and scholarships, or because they want to make a change in their lives. Modern technologies and cheap airline tickets have ushered a new era where people work remotely and change states and cities all the time. Statistics show that approximately 31 million Americas move each year. Out of that number, 82% move within their state, while 13% are intestate moves. Interestingly, only 0.36% of Americans move to another country each year. However, that translates to a significant number of people, and that’s why we have decided to make a guide for moving to France from the USA. To be precise, we are going to concentrate on moving to Marseille from NYC. What you should know, how to do it the best way, and what to pay attention to. Stay tuned for more.
Moving to Marseille from NYC requires a timely start
Moving from the United State to France is a long-distance international move, one that requires good organization, perfect planning, and timely actions. For example, if you start searching for a moving agency on time you will improve your chances of finding better deals and better moving partners like Transparent International. Also, if you start preparing for the move early you will have enough time to correct any mistakes that you might make. Finally, if you book your move in advance you might get some discounts.
Make a proper moving plan before moving to Marseille from NYC
Before you do anything else, you must prepare a plan that will help you to keep track of your move. It will also reduce stress levels and help you get through the next few weeks without frustration. So, how to do it?
- Determine your moving budget, including moving quotes, additional moving services, travel expenses, and other costs.
- Prepare a packing plan with a precise order of packing, and smart labeling systems.
- Organize and prepare important documents like passports, medical documents, insurance documents, or driver’s licenses.
- Get rid of the things that you don’t need. Now is the perfect time to sell, donate, or throw out everything that is surplus to requirements.
- Order packing supplies like boxes, packing paper, and packing tape.
- Research reliable international removals
- Get several moving estimates
- Cancel utility services at your old address and set them up at your new address.
- Backup your electronic devices
- Visit your doctor
Hire a reliable moving agency
One of the most crucial aspects of every international move is the choice of your moving partner. Many moving companies operate on the market, but sadly not all of them represent a good choice. So how to be sure that you are dealing with professionals, and not amateurs or even worse – scammers?
- Conduct simple online research. See if the moving company has a dedicated website or social network page. Check out user feedback, and reviews.
- Call them on the phone or visit them in person. This reveals a lot about the company. Are their employees uniformed? Are they friendly, polite, and ready to answer your questions?
- What services do they offer? When a moving company offers many different services like packing services, or storage services this means that they are long on the market and have the knowledge and experience to deal with all sorts of moving-related tasks.
Try to learn more about your new city
Moving is sadly not over when you arrive at your new home. A lot of work still awaits you. You must unpack and make your new place suitable for living. But the main struggle is adapting to your new surroundings. This could present a challenge because you have moved to another country. Know that adapting to a new culture is a lengthy process that could last for several months. Some people are not mentally prepared for this so they never adapt. This could potentially lead to various problems such as feelings of homesickness and anxiety.
One of the best ways to prevent this from happening is to learn more about the city where you live. Use your free time to explore the city’s museums, galleries, parks, and places of historical importance. Go for long walks and see where are the best restaurants, bars, markets, and so forth. This will help you to feel more like a resident of a city and less like a tourist that is just passing by.
Try to learn the language before moving to Marseille from NYC
The easiest way to adapt to a new country is to overcome the language barrier. Honestly, French could be a problem for those who haven’t had any experience with it before, so we advise you to start learning it before you move. The important thing is not to give up regardless of how hard it might seem. If you are persistent enough, you will eventually succeed. So, what can you do to learn a language?
- Enroll in a French language course. New York is a big place. You can find many quality courses and workshops including those for French lessons.
- Ask friends for help. Do you know someone who speaks French? See if they are willing to give you classes. If you already know something, then try speaking with those friends for practice.
- Surround yourself with the language. The best way to learn any language, including French, is to constantly listen to it. So, listen to French radio, French news, and watch French films. You can even change your phone language to be French.
- Buy an online course. You can learn the language even if you don’t have much time at your disposal. Take a look at all those online language-learning platforms.
This was our short guide for moving to Marseille from NYC. As you can see, even complex international moves are not that difficult if you have a plan and reliable moving partners. Good luck!