Get Free Estimate
Many people say that moving house is one of the top three most stressful events in life, alongside a death of a family member and a divorce. There are a lot of things to handle, especially if you are moving to a foreign country where you are probably unfamiliar with the language, culture, and tradition. Among many things you should think about, there’s the question of how to find storage units in a new city. Finding appropriate storage is not an easy task at all. It’s even more difficult if you are relocating for the first time – you need to know what to look for. The good news is that international relocation companies have made it easy to find suitable storage wherever you want to move. So, if you are about to move from the USA to Germany, read our guidelines to find convenient storage in a new city.
Why is it important to find storage units in a new city?
Expats need to find storage units in a new city for several reasons. The first and most important reason is that it eases the stress of an international move. Alongside packing and crating, and the transportation itself, moving boxes overseas is one of the biggest challenges you can face. You cannot know whether you’ll have enough space in your new home or not. You may realize that your new home is far smaller than you expected, so you’ll have to edit your furnishings. Therefore, storage units definitely facilitate your move. Also, if you are staying at your friends’ home until you find your place to live, you need to store your belongings somewhere. Again, you need storage. And, if you want to move some things, but you don’t need them immediately after your move, storage is a great solution until you decide what to do with them.
Ways to find storage units in a new city when moving internationally
Whether finding appropriate storage units is a difficult or an easy task depends mostly on the organization and what kind of help you have. If you are searching for storage in a new city on your own, you may come across many obstacles. It is very daunting and time-consuming to search for storage in a place you are not familiar with. You can visit the warehouses yourself, or you can read online reviews. However, reading reviews although helpful, may not be accurate enough. You should be careful anyway. So, to avoid potential problems, rely on professional help.
Types of storage units
When searching for storage, you should determine what type of storage do you need. There are four types of storage units you can choose from:
- Self-storage: or self-service storage, as its name suggests, is a type of storage that you rent by yourself. It is usually used for a short-term period – weekly or monthly. By using this type of storage, you are responsible for delivering and picking up your belongings. Besides that, you need to keep track of what you have stored. What’s more, the belongings are secured by yourself.
- Full-service storage: With it, there’s no hassle about keeping your belongings safe and secure. This type of storage is designed to keep your belongings safe from dirt, moisture, and mildew. Also, you’ll get insurance and 24/7 surveillance. If you choose this option, you won’t have to deal with loading and unloading. The moving and storage company will do everything.
- Indoor storage: This type of storage is almost always climate-controlled, so your belongings are kept from heat, coldness, or wind. It’s suitable for storing delicate items.
- Outdoor storage: It is suitable for items that are not so fragile, such as your vehicles., outdoor furniture, recreational items, lawn tools, etc.
What to pay attention to when searching for storage units in a new city
When it comes to international moving services, it’s essential to use high-quality ones, and storage is one of them. Here’s what you should pay attention to if you want to find suitable storage units in a new city:
- Find storage units that are near your place if possible
- Pick the right-sized storage
- Avoid warehouses subjected to moisture and mildew
- Find storage that has high hygiene and is pest-free
- Choose a warehouse that has climate control
- Pay attention to security – find a store that has a strong security system
- Find storage that is accessible 24/7
- Last but not least, find an affordable storage unit
Things to ask yourself before choosing a warehouse
It can be very difficult to find storage units in a new city, especially if you are a beginner when it comes to moving. But before you choose a warehouse, ask yourself what kind of storage space do you need. Then think about how to get your stuff to a storage unit. Also, calculate how long you will need the place so you can calculate the price of it. Plan how to organize your storage space and get the most of it. All these things can help you determine the type of warehouse that is the most convenient to you. Follow some guidelines and you won’t make a mistake.
Finding appropriate storage units in a new city is not an easy task
International relocation is a long and overwhelming process. It can take days, weeks, even months to plan every single detail. Besides that, you must find storage units in a new city after the move. It’s not easy to find a proper storage facility wherever you move, and moving from USA to Germany is no exception. Finding a suitable storage unit can be a complicated, tiring, and time-consuming task that requires a lot of thinking and planning. However, it’s possible to make the search easier if you’ve defined what kind of storage do you need. Yet, if you want to make sure that you’ve found a proper storage unit, pay attention to the details we’ve provided. Hope this article was helpful.