Get Free Estimate
"*" indicates required fields
It is not easy at all moving to another city or a country, not to mention another continent. The last might sound a bit scary. There are mixed emotions, you feel fear and excitement. When you are about to move to another overseas you have a lot on your mind. All types of international relocation paperwork, visa, packing, relocation, and finding a new home. To make this process easier you can hire international movers New York so you can think of other things. Before making a move you should write a detailed plan so you don’t forget about something. International relocation is a challenging task. Here is what you should think about when moving overseas.
International relocation paperwork
First thing is to get all the relevant paperwork. Such are:
- passport- Before making an international move, verify that your passport is up-to-date and will not expire soon after you arrive.
- visa- There are many different types of visas, and the kind that you need will depend on the duration of your move, the purpose of your relocation, and the country you are moving to. There is a Short-stay visa (for those who stay temporarily, up to 90 days. This includes tourist visa, medical visa, and business visa), Long-stay visa (period longer than 9o days), and Residence visa (for permanent or long-term residence).
If you are a resident of the USA you can enter Switzerland without a visa if you are staying short-term (up to 90 days). But if you are moving from USA to Switzerland then you must apply for a Swiss long-stay visa. Apply for the relevant residence permit if you are moving there for work.
- work permit – Besides your passport and visa, you will usually need a work permit to begin employment in your new country. Rules and regulations for receiving a work permit can vary depending on the country you are relocating to.
- marriage certificate – A marriage certificate is proof of your marital relationship.
- birth certificate – This document identifies a person’s name, gender, date of birth, place of birth, and parents. This is an imp0ortant document if you are traveling internationally.
- and some other international relocation paperwork that you and your family will need, like dental records, driver’s license, school records, financial records, Social Security cards, and also if you have pets you will be needing a Veterinary International Health certificate.
Make sure to carry multiple copies of these documents with you. Do not leave them in your luggage.
Get your plane ticket on time
Apart from visa buying a plane ticket on time is very important, especially if you are moving during the peak season and you do not want to overpay your ticket. Be sure to search for a plane ticket at least two months before your moving day and try to find a good offer especially if you are moving your whole family.
Get to know your new country and find a new home
Before moving to your new country, you should do the research and find out about its culture, currency, and language. Then you should find a new home for you and your family, at least for a while until you find an apartment that suits your needs and budget. Be careful with choosing your new home, check everything before moving in.
Plan your budget
Before moving, make a list of all the expenses that you might have, including hiring a moving company. There will be a lot of expenses, starting with plane tickets, packing supplies, renting, or buying a new home. If possible, leave some money aside in case of some unpredicted expenses. Call a few moving companies and check the prices. Use the internet to get free quotes and to get a general idea of the prices. Then you can decide which one can fit in in your price range.
After completing your international relocation paperwork it is time to prepare for moving
It is time to prepare for moving abroad. First of all, you need to decide what will you take with you. Make a list of inventory. If won’t be needing some of the items, you can store them, give them away, or make a yard sale. This is a good decision to make because you can avoid expenses of moving the items you actually do not need.
After deciding what to take with you, you need to pack all those items. You will be needing some packing supplies like cardboard boxes, plastic bins, duct tape, bubble wrap, scissors, rope, a dolly. Be especially careful with your artwork and pack them properly to avoid the damage. You can search on the internet on how to pack and secure each of these items. You will have to disassemble the massive furniture and to pack them properly. Make sure you have enough packing supplies and check the instructions on how to pack different items. If you are not sure that you are able to do it yourself you can contact moving companies overseas to help you with all that work.
After packing your inventory, you need to find a reliable moving company. Make sure you choose the right one. Check different sites and contact different companies before hiring them. You can check if they have experience with an international moving, read the previous customer reviews, and see if you can rely on them. You should decide what type of service do you need. Do you want them to pack your stuff and relocate them, do you want them to help you with unpacking too, or you just need to rent a moving van.
To prevent a great amount of stress it is much easier to hire a moving company to take care of your relocation while you are preparing your international relocation paperwork. Maybe it will cost a little bit more but it will help you to concentrate on other important things to do before your international move.