Get Free Estimate
When you move, there are only a few items you can’t trust anyone to pack and ship. Still, when you relocate, things can get pretty crazy and you might forget where you pack what. That’s why Transparent International NYC is here to help you out. We’ll give you clear instructions on what to bring with you and what to pack. Let’s go!
What are items you can’t trust anyone to pack and ship?
If you are wondering what are the items you can’t trust anyone to pack and ship, well those can be many. First of all, it’s important to keep your personal documents to yourself if you’re planning on getting overseas relocation services. With this, any medication you take, or valuable items are better to carry with you. Let us give you examples.
Packing your valuables with you
When you move, you need to pack valuables in a bag or a box you carry with you, and never pack them in your moving boxes.
Here is the list of things you should definitely take with you
There are a couple of things you need to take with you. This is our list. It’s not final, so feel free to add on items you may feel you don’t want to trust anyone:
- Keys and wallet. You need to get into the new home, and you need your wallet with your documents and money.
- Medications. If you or your family member take any medication, take it with you. With this, take some basic medications such as ones that can help you with headaches or stomachaches.
- Important personal documents. Don’t take any chances and pack all your personal documents with you. These can include birth certificates, social security cards, IDs, passports, etc.
- Phone and phone chargers. Take any of the electronics you use on a regular basis with you.
- Valuables. Anything from jewelry to money and valuable items.
- Memories and anything of sentimental value. Moving companies are 99% reliable and provide moving insurance, but you should maybe take any items that have sentimental value with you.
Things you will also need
Besides these things, you should also make one box to carry with you at all times. Imagine the day after moving and it will be clear to you why this is important. You certainly won’t unpack 8 different boxes to find all the things you need to make your day after moving run as standard. So pack all those supplies in one box.
This box is called an essential moving box and can contain the following:
- Phone book. That’s right, simply write all the phones on a piece of paper. You never know when you might need it.
- Pen. You never know when you need to sign something or write something down during your move.
- Basic toiletries. These can include items such as toothbrushes, toothpaste, deodorant, soap or hand sanitizer, etc.
- Roll of toilet paper. This is certainly an item that you will need to have.
- Smaller tool kit. This can be in handy if you need to quickly fix something. Those can be items such as a screwdriver, wrench, and measuring tape.
- Scissors or a small knife. You will probably need something sharp when you move.
- Change of clothes. Relocation is usually a dirty endeavor so pack spare clothing to have with you. Do the same for your kids.
- Water and some food. Water should be the number 1 item on your list. Bring some food with you if you or your family members get hungry.
- Pet items. This can be food, bowls for food and water, treats, a favorite toy, and any medications.
- Kids’ items. When you move with kids, you need to pack their favorite toys, snacks and water, basic toiletries, and a few games.
Make a plan when packing and think about what to pack first
Moving long-distance can be additionally stressful. Just imagine that you are moving to Luxembourg from US. When it comes to packing tips, the basic rule is to first pack things you don’t need right away and that you don’t use so often. These are, for example, clothes and clothes you don’t use at the moment, dishes and items that you use only on special occasions, decorative and festive items, and the like.
Also, when you move, you might find packing services more than useful. Movers that pack your items can help you sort out items you are carrying with you. In that way, you won’t end up in a situation where something you need is packed already. With this, you will have to open the boxes several times in order to take the desired item and put it back again.
Give yourself enough time
One of the biggest sources of stress is time – or rather the lack of it. You can significantly reduce stress. by leaving yourself enough time. Keep in mind that you will need about two days to pack a studio or one-bedroom apartment, three to four days for a two-bedroom home, five to six days for a three-bedroom house, and so on. Be sure to leave yourself enough time for other steps, such as researching and selecting a moving company or renting a moving van. Count in administrative work related to check-in and check-out of utilities in your new home and cleaning the house you are leaving. Don’t wait until the last minute, because the sooner you do this, the more carefree you will be in approaching the relocation process.